| PROUD STREET SWEEPER |
| ENGLISH CLASS WITH THEIR JOURNALS |
| Check out the road to English, it looks better in this pic |
| Mick, is this one of your satellite schools? |
| Typical transportation to church - who knows where |
| I can't keep up with him |
This past
week we made an error in judgment. We
chose to visit a family out in Motupa Thursday evening. It was daylight as we traveled there and we
are getting use to the roads, so when we turned off the "tar" road
and started on the dirt road it was no problem.
However, the dirt road ended and we were left with an open field to
navigate before finding their home. We
made it, had a wonderful visit and then said our good-byes. As we walked out to the car a visitor in
their home, who had joined us for the evening, pulled Ed aside and very quietly
said, "I want to go to church, but I'm embarrassed because I have nothing
to wear." Ed listened, showed
concern, made no promises, and then we started on our way home. It was dark by now. Dark is an understatement, it was pitch
black. I prayed all the way to the tar road
and made up my mind that ALL visits from now on will be made in the light of
day. Such was our mistake; however, safely
home the next morning we went to Woolworths and bought church clothes that
looked like they would fit a 17 year old young man. We delivered them. I'm happy to say that when we arrived at
church Sunday morning he met us at the gate in his new clothes. He then greeted everyone else who came and
personally opened and closed the gate with the largest smile you have ever
seen.
English
class is going well. Above is a picture
of some of our students and a look at just one of the roads that we
travel. The rain has made huge ruts in
most of the roads, making driving a bit of a challenge. This particular day we were driving along slowly
and a few children, who come to the class, saw our car and started running
alongside us. They were so close that we
had to stop. I rolled down my window to
talk to them and they reached their arms inside and started hugging me, kissing
me, and running their fingers through my hair as they said, "English
teacher." I couldn't help but get
out and walk the rest of the way with them.
We feel so loved.
We visited with a few young Father's this week
who are dealing with the pains of unemployment (85% in our area). As we talked with Chiromo in his home the
topic of blessings came up and he told us that he thinks the Lord has forgotten him. I was holding his adorable
one year old son and hugged the baby as I told Chiromo that I was holding a
very precious blessing. He smiled and
couldn't help but agree. We had a good
visit. Ed has since arranged for him and
a few others to attend a career workshop.
We keep our fingers crossed as we all look for employment opportunities
and talk about possible education options.
If we
haven't had a chance to tell you, our church services are in English, but most
of the members in Motupa speak Sotu or Zulu and have a very difficult time
expressing even simple thoughts in English. (Another challenge) Last Sunday Samuel
struggled to tell all of us that God loves us, not necessarily because we are
so good, but because He is so good. We
appreciated his sweet message and would like to share it with you. We love and miss you!!
Ed and Jolene
I loved your post. Thank you for keeping us in the loop. How wonderful are the things you are doing in this world! By small and simple means are great things brought to pass. Probably not perfectly quoted, but so true. Love you guys! Keep up the good work and stay safe.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh!!! I don't even know what to say!! Well, except this: very touching and happy valentines day!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis was a beautiful post. Lifted my spirits to hear of the good people there.
ReplyDelete