| Sister Esther and family |
| Everyone has a banana tree. Good thing we love them! |
| She just stood there in all her majesty. |
| Going for a ride. |
| We stopped the jeep so she could parade in front of us. |
| We were only 10 feet away and she was bored???? |
As many of you know, our internet service is not always
reliable. We were able to see half of
Lexi's (our granddaughter's) baptism Saturday night. The half we saw was beautiful and we felt
very much a part of everything. We also finally
got to see conference this past weekend.
We had heard bits and pieces from talks, but it was good to hear them
all. Wow, it was wonderful. Last Friday we visited with Sister Esther who
is investigating the church. Her son,
who is 50, joined a few weeks ago.
Sister Esther said to us, "The reason I don't know yet is because I
can't read the Book of Mormon. I need
help." We sat down and read 1 Nephi
Chapter 1 together and explained as we read.
She all but glowed with excitement and understanding. We offered to go often, even though she is a
good 40 minutes away in the village of Nkowankowa. Meanwhile in the village of Mokgolobotho,
English is going very well. As I taught
last week, Ed visited with two parents.
The class has grown to over 20 students, and the one parent said that
their school has noticed an improvement in some of the children and asked about
it. They then wanted to know how much we
charge. (Blessings only.) Our class also has pen pals in Heber City,
Utah and we returned our first set of
letters this past week, complete with pictures on each letter. The kids love to
have their picture taken. What a thrill. By the way, only three of our students are
members of the church, but they all offer to pray in English and sing the primary
songs with such enthusiasm that I'm tempted to send you a video.
I can't believe I am
doing this. . . . is a phrase that we have used many times. Once again we have enjoyed another
adventure. We visited with a family on
the outskirts of our branch and they
just happen to live at the mouth of a game reserve called "Africa on
Foot." We stayed at the reserve for
a few nights with Elder and Sister Alder
who are going home today. Luckily the
church encourages senior couples to get to know the people, the culture and the
area. WE DID. We walked and rode through the vast regions
of the reserve with diligent guides and saw a ton of animals. Just a few pictures above.
It is getting colder and mostly at nights we miss our heated
home in California. Other than that we
are safe, happy and well. I love the
statement from Sister Dalton, "Our part matters, because we matter."
WE DO MATTER! ALL OF US! Thank you for
the part that you play in our lives.
We love you,
Ed and Jolene
Thank you so much for sharing your mission with us. It is wonderful the things you are doing. The people are truly blessed to have the two of you there. Of course, we miss you desperately and pray for you always. Your Saugus home has a nice heater, but nowhere near the opportunities and adventures that you are experiencing. Keep up the good work! Love you!
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures! I was also having some technical problems so glad I can hop on here now and check out whats happening. Xoxo Be Safe Sister Paras
ReplyDelete