Monday, October 21, 2013

October 21, 2013



It's a live Hippo, Should I???


YES, I'm kissing a Hippo

Ed Petting a Cheetah

Magnificent Beast and so close!

Camouflaged, but look closely. 

The Water truck just arrived, how will they get it back??

Pictures with the Mayor's Rep, but Ed did present the award

Just visiting at a members home.  Love those kids!!

Dearest Family and Friends,
We watched the first session of General Conference yesterday.  Yes, we are a bit behind, but. . . .  this is Africa.  Remember the story that Elder Soares told about Moses, the South African man who found a Book of Mormon, read it, knew it was true, but couldn't go inside the church because he was black and the laws of the land forbade it during apartheid.  When the story ended I  looked around the room where we were meeting.  There were 32 of us crowded into a tiny area around a tiny TV screen. We of course were the only whites in the room. The floor was cold cement, it was drizzling outside, the ceiling was a sheet of tin,  I was sitting on a broken plastic chair that ripped my skirt . . . but none of that mattered. The spirit was strong and we were worshiping "inside" together.  Africa has come a long ways, but we still have a long ways to go especially in the villages where the members now are persecuted for belonging to a "white" peoples church.  One sister said to me when I asked how it was going with her neighbors, "I just don't listen to them and I know I will be blessed."   
A few of our experiences this past month have been planning and speaking at the funeral of Lindelani, a 16 year old young man who died in his sleep and we don't even know why.  The funeral was in his Aunt's front yard, and he was buried in the back yard.  The community and funeral attendees helped dig and cover up the grave.  Since there were about 300 villagers there, we hoped hearing us talk, pray and sing about Jesus Christ would help the community to see that we are Christians. Perhaps it softened a few hearts.  We will see in time.  We've also provided marriage counseling,  been offered a child to take home with us, discussed the gospel in homes of members and non-members, kissed a hippo, petted a Cheetah, presented a Family Values Award to the orphanage administrator, hosted a banquet where we shared religious and community ideals with Pastors, Businessmen and Women, and government officials from our little area, and Met with the Chief Counsels of two different villages to discuss religious and community issues.  It's definitely not what we expected but we never get bored.  Knowing that we are doing the Lord's work and feeling the support and prayers of loved ones at home keeps us strong.  Thank you.   
We love you,
Ed and Jolene, mom and dad, grandma and grandpa and happily Elder and Sister Smith

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful to hear from you - You sound like you are blessed!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you guys that's so cool what you got to do hope to see you soon! Love you and I'm sorry about that young man but I'm sure he's happy now love u guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you kiss that hippo? Just proves how brave you are! It is amazing to hear of your experiences. It's the kind of stuff you just can't make up. I am thinking of you and praying for you every day, you are my heroes! Keep up the good work. I know that the people you serve wonder how they became so lucky. Love you!

    ReplyDelete